Ep 64 // How to Take Over Another Leader's Team or Business
Taking over a team that already has structures and work culture in place can be daunting. Set yourself up for success with advice from Executive Leadership Coach Akua Nyame-Mensah she will tell you the steps you need to take for a smooth transition.
This episode is relevant for any leader, especially if you are taking over a department/company, are inheriting a CEO role from a founder, or taking over another person’s online business. If you are a leader, this episode will provide you with tangible, actionable steps you can take as you assume your new role.
Listen as Akua talks about her own experiences in taking over leadership roles and her experiences coaching others through the same. Find out some of the pitfalls and how to avoid them, remembering that there is no one “right way” to lead. Here is a framework from which you can work to become more self-aware, engage meaningfully, and set realistic expectations.
Highlights in this episode:
- Akua talks about how taking over a new market within her business gave her the opportunity to discover coaching as a way to engage better with her team.
- When you take over an already-established leadership role, the first step is self-awareness.
- Recognize and accept that you’re starting something new and realize you’ll show up differently in this new space.
- Reflect on your strengths as a leader.
- Be mindful of the poor leadership habits you could slip into when you get uncomfortable, like people pleasing or not setting boundaries.
- Learn the importance of engaging with your team as a group and as individuals.
- Set time boundaries for yourself. Tell yourself you will wait to make decisions until you’ve had time to understand the needs of the team.
- Use a timeline to check progress and assess whether additional resources are needed.
- Make sure you set realistic expectations for your team.
- Learn the signs of overwhelm and how to combat it.
Note from Akua: Are you interested in having more conversations like this with other leaders? These are the kinds of conversations we will have in my new community and container. If you are an action-oriented and accomplished professional who is pivoting into service-based entrepreneurship and are ready to get out of theory and into practice, join my waitlist to cut through the noise and get to the money here: www.akuanm.com/cheatcode
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Blog Post: 3 Tips on How to Become an Effective and Impactful Leader
Blog Post: How to Stop People-Pleasing And Set Better Boundaries In Business
Blog Post: 10 Exercises You Can Do to Increase Productivity And Practice Mindfulness Every Day as a Busy Business Owner
Blog Post: My Decade in Review: Professional Lessons + Reflections
Leave a comment